one2one is a contemporary church committed to bringing good news to those living in Ballarat and surrounding areas. We believe God’s word gives the direction in life that people so desperately need. We value people connecting one-to-one with God, and one-to-one with each other. We believe we are in Ballarat to serve and show God’s favour for this world and the people in it so we seek to partner with our city and the organizations that are part of it, one-to-one.
one2one is now over 150 years old. It was originally known as the Dawson Steet Church of Christ and up until recently, Ballarat Family Church of Christ. At the beginning of 2010, the church changed it’s name to one2one Gillies Street Church of Christ as it embarked on a bold new vision.
Our All For God’s Glory: What every you do, do it all for the glory of God ( Corinthians 10:31)
REACHING: Reaching People (Acts 1:8) Because these are the people we love!
RENEWING: Renewing Lives (Romans 12:2) Because there is really is more to life!
RELEASING: Releasing Ministry (1 Peter 4:10) Because everyone can make a difference!
1859 – Beginning – Brother and Sister Divers (members of the Congregation of Disciples in Melbourne), having come to reside in Ballarat, commenced in their own house attending to the weekly observance of the Lord’s Supper, Reading the Scriptures and Prayer and Praise. They were shortly afterwards joined by Brothers Neish, Collins, Rankin and Lyle; also by Mr and Mrs Bush of the Prahan Church.
1864 – Building Plans Emerge – The excitement of the plans to erect a church building motivated the people to a quick start. On October 21st, 1864, it was moved that the land in Dawson Street be purchased for the construction of a Chapel. The following year, on January 18th, the Officers decided that a chapel of brick and stone be built of size 40 feet by 35 feet, that a portable baptistry be made, and that the design of the Chapel be put in the hands of Mr. Doane, architect.
1868 – Ballarat Church Growth Continues – Other small congregations were meeting in the Ballarat district, among them Mount Clear, Sebastopol, Scarsdale, Smeaton, Buninyong and Durham Lead. This was encouraging to the early Evangelists, and occasional visits were organised.
1873 – Further Progress – A great deal of correspondence went back and forth between the Victorian fellowships, and many varied matters were dealt with at Church meetings.
1900 – A New Century Arrives – The turn of the new century came along without fanfare. The City of Ballarat had endured the Gold Rush, and diggers had gone elsewhere to seek their fortune, so Ballarat was suffering a downturn.
1909 – Some Trials and Challenges – Things moved quietly forward in 1909 until May, when an unspecified problem concerning certain subject matter arose in the morning meetings. It was decided that all speakers discontinue speaking on that subject.
1914 – The Great War Years – The first mention of an anonymous letter to the Committee was noted on February 23rd 1914. The procedure for dealing with this was fairly normal, and no action was taken. At the same meeting, after revision, the numbers on the Church Roll totalled 175.
1918 – It’s Over – Armistice Day on November 11th 1918 signalled the end of the First World War. The War had brought circumstances never before known to Australian families. Many of those who went overseas to serve had not returned. Some families had members missing in action, and thus never had the privilege of farewelling their loved ones in Australia.
1926 – Brother Connor Departs – In March 1926, delegates, including Bro. Connor, were sent to attend a meeting to consider a proposal to establish a ‘Council of Churches’, a positive move to have a body overseeing churches in Victoria.
1936 – Working Together – The December 1936 – January 1937 holiday period brought about two tragedies affecting the Brethren of the Church, with the accidental drowning of Bro. J. Gladman at Karrawinna East, and the fatality of the Secretary, Bro. Bailey and his son Ross.
1941 – War and Some Discontent – A new problem erupted in February 1941, when it was alleged that Peel Street members had been induced to attend Doveton Street. The Ballarat North Advisory Board informed the Officers that no such inducement was being offered.
1949 – The Hunting Era – Bro. Frank Hunting was duly appointed as Pastor, and arrangements were made to organise a house at 1317 Mair Street for him and school for his children.
1957 – Onward Christian Soldiers – Officers elected to major positions in March were:
1960 – The Sixties – The 1960 Officers elected were:
1964 – Coping with Growth – The difficultly of overseeing three churches was becoming more evident, and the Officers were concerned about how all churches could be financed and resourced.
1969 – The Demise of Brougham Street – The Brougham Street situation came to a head when, after notifying the Dawson Street congregation of the Board’s recommendation, the decision to close the Brougham Street Church was agreed to at the half-yearly Church meeting.
1971 – Radical Change – Fundamental changes were therefore necessary. It was suggested that the Church recognise the needs of our society, and to realise that Christ alone can meet those needs.
1977 – The Post-Hunting Era – Albert Graham filled in until Graeme Chapman arrived to take up duties in February. An Induction Service and Dinner was held in the Lower Civic Hall with more than 250 people, including the Mayor and civic dignitaries attending.
1979 – Church Youth Blossoms – In the Music area, it was decided that a song leader be used in both services. The piano and organ were to be used together for hymns only, and the organ was to be played quietly during Communion, but only unfamiliar songs, so as not to distract.
1989 – Relocation in the Wind – Relocation was first mentioned in the Elders’ minutes of 20th June 1989, which stated that: ‘Elders agreed that the congregation need to relocate.’ A notice was placed in ‘In Touch’ the following Sunday.
1994 – Sharing the Vision – The year 1994 saw the introduction of Darren Kittel as Senior Minister at Dawson Street.
2000 – Vision Becomes Reality – The year 2000 stands out as a milestone in the Church’s history. It has often been said that ‘God works in mysterious ways!’ – and indeed He does.
2004 – New Millenium – During 2004, major changes took place at 121 Gillies Street. Lynley Whitlock was appointed Minister for Discipleship, beginning a new era in the life of the Church.
2010 – Ballarat Family Church of Christ renamed to one2one Gillies Street Church of Christ
2011 – Mark Dainton appointed as Senior Minister.